If you had asked little me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I probably would have had many answers for you. I might have said a scientist, veterinarian, counselor, singer,.... The answer changed all the time. But if you had asked me what I did not want to be when I grew up, I always had a ready and consistent answer: teacher. Teaching seemed to me to be the most undesirable job in the world. I didn't have many good teachers until I got to college. I perceived teachers as stressed out, overworked, and uncompassionate. I currently major in Elementary Education at Northwest University.
I first started teaching when I was about twelve. My sister Natalie was three years old and I wanted her to be the smartest kid in preschool. So I began teaching her how to add and subtract with marbles. While she was home-schooled in first grade, I would give her spelling tests and help her out with concepts she was having trouble with. During this time I did not consider teaching as something in my future. But this experience gave me the opportunity as a young girl to put into practice talents I did not realize I had.
In high school I began tutoring part time. I worked with grades ranging from kindergarten to 10th grade in subjects that were just as varied, from reading to social studies to algebra to Spanish. I was shocked to discover that I actually enjoyed teaching and was good at it. Today, I look forward to working with students. I look forward to helping children find their talents, interests, gifts, and help them make discoveries that will open worlds of opportunity.
I would like to teach middle school, but anywhere from 4th-9th grade would be great. The subjects I enjoy the most are US History and English.
Thanks for sharing your story. How sad that you had few "model" teachers during your k-12 years. But how interesting that you assumed a teaching role with your little sister and that you were involved in tutoring students while you were in high school. When you were tutoring did you have the opportunity to work with any teachers that inspired you? I'm that you have have choosen teaching as your career and that you will be able to use the strenths that God has given to you. A great match! Blessings
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you changed your mind to teaching! It is obvious God has given you a talent for it and now a passion for teaching the minds of tomorrow. You will love middle school students - they may drive you crazy at first, but there's not better job in the world! :)
ReplyDelete