Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Potential for the SMARTBoard

The first time I saw a SMARTBoard was here at the University. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen! I was so excited to think that, as a teacher, I will be able to have one of those in my classroom.

Other than being a really neat toy, I agree with the Lory Stewart that the SMARTBoard could be an effective tool in improving learning in the classroom. I read the article "Improving Instruction with Interactive Whiteboards" by Dian Schaffhauser (http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22082/). Lory Stewart works in a school distract that has the common problem of students with low test scores. Here in Washington State, that is especially a problem because low test scores mean lower state funding.

The SMARTBoard is another means by which teachers can communicate to students. Students respond well to technology, and having an interactive board would mean more options for demonstration, communication, and class interaction. However, just having a SMARTBoard isn't the answer. I think the SMARTBoard is just another tool that, if used well, could have a great impact on students' learning and expanding levels of communication.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned the SmartBoard as a means for "more options for demonstration, communication, and class interaction" rather than something that will teach the students.

    The SmartBoard is very smart and great but I think we really need to remember that SmartBoards are a tool to teach and not the teacher.

    ReplyDelete